The Iyengar Yoga Association of Northern California (IYANC) was formed by a dedicated and inspired group of teachers and practitioners in 1974. It was the first such organization in the United States, and now serves as a regional arm of the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States.
IYANC is a membership based non-profit corporation dedicated to the study, practice and teaching of Iyengar Yoga. IYANC is a 501(c)3 Not for Profit Association run by a Board of Directors. Donations to IYANC are tax-deductible. IYANC owns and operates the Iyengar Yoga Institute of San Francisco (IYISF).
The mission of IYANC/IYISF is to:
- (a) Promote the study, practice, and teaching of yoga as inspired by Sri BKS Iyengar.
- (b) Foster a flourishing yoga community.
- (c) Cultivate and sustain the Iyengar Yoga Institute of San Francisco as an international yoga center.
- (d) Support the spirit of B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States.
The purposes of the Iyengar Yoga Institute of San Francisco are to:
- (a) Promote introductory opportunities for people not currently practicing yoga or Iyengar yoga.
- (b) Offer programs and opportunities for students of yoga to deepen their practice and education.
- (c) Prepare individuals to teach Iyengar yoga.
- (d) Provide a continuing yoga education center where those currently teaching yoga can come to study with advanced teachers to augment their skills and knowledge.
- (e) Be an international center for the promotion and development of yoga as inspired by Sri B.K.S. Iyengar.