Advanced Studies Program
“By dedicated practice of the various aspects of yoga impurities are destroyed: the crown of wisdom radiates in glory.” – B.K.S. Iyengar, Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, II.28
Peer Teaching Group
The IYISF Teaching Group is a community of Iyengar yoga teachers and practitioners of all levels who are working collaboratively to practice the principles of teaching as given by B.K.S. Iyengar. The group is guided by the IYNAUS criteria for teacher certification. Participants are expected to attend regularly and maintain a commitment to be in the group, not only to achieve a particular certification level, but because of an interest in an ongoing collaboration with like-minded practitioners in honing teaching skills.
During each session, a few members of the group teach poses to the rest of the group. The teacher role is rotated so that all group members have regular opportunities to teach in the group. New members will observe during their first session, and will be in line to teach at the following session. After each teacher’s segment, the group offers feedback based on the principles described in Basic Guidelines for Teachers of Yoga and the IYNAUS certification manual. The feedback process consists of moving around the group, with each member giving one succinct point.
Please contact CIYT Theresa Marks at firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on our mailing list to receive regular reminders about upcoming sessions and how to sign up to either teach and/or participate. While we are on-line, there is no need to sign up on IYISF website. Everyone who is on the list will receive a zoom link the day of the session.
PREREQUISITES FOR PARTICIPATION ARE:
(1) a daily personal Iyengar yoga practice
(2) IYNAUS membership
(3) a commitment to teach as demonstrated by: (a) teaching a regular Iyengar yoga class; (b) planning to take an IYNAUS assessment and having a mentor for that; OR (c) completion of or concurrent enrollment in an Iyengar yoga teacher training program.
Peer teaching group meets on Saturdays from 1-3pm on the following dates in 2021:
- January 16
- February 20
- March 20
- April 24
- May 29
- June 19
- July 17
- August 14
- September 18
- October 30
- November 27
- December 18
CONTACT THERESA MARKS TO REGISTER
2021 STUDY PROGRAMS FOR DEDICATED STUDENTS AND TEACHERS (DPP)
Maturing attention, awareness, consciousness, and expression from a firm, resilient foundation
There is a difference between a beginner learning the subject of yoga, and a dedicated practitioner studying the basics to thoroughly embody them. As practitioners, we can use the treasure of community:
- To deepen the practice
- To understand better, individually and together
- To share and grow learning space, resources, intention, harmonious speech, insights, and respect for all; and
- For teachers, to further mature your skills to become the teacher one wants to, and has the potential to be.
In 2021, IYANC-IYISF will offer a series of training weekends for dedicated practitioners of one year and beyond. If you are curious and ready to deepen your practice and understanding, these programs are for you. Sessions will include in-depth study of basics, and focus work for teaching skills. These sessions will be designed to support and enhance your regular study with your own primary teacher and mentor. Please save the dates:
- WORK Program 1: ACT includes dedicated studentship skills for home practice of Level 1 asana, pranayama, anatomy, and philosophy.
- WORK Program 2: REFLECT includes dedicated studentship skills for home practice of Level 2 asana, pranayama, anatomy, and philosophy.
- TEACH Program overlaps with Work Program 2: Reflect. It includes teaching skills. More information on the Teacher Education page.
- OFFER Program overlaps with Work and Teach Programs. It includes teacher development skills for certified teachers (CIYTs) More information on the Teacher Education page.
To learn more about the Work Programs:
DPP – WORK PROGRAMS
“To establish a firm ground to further the effort, this practice has to be continued assiduously for a long time, with intensity and profundity.” — BKS Iyengar, Core of the Yoga Sutras, Sutra I.14, p 113.
Iyengar yoga is a path that settles the consciousness through the gateway of the body. Determined effort is taught methodically through mastery of posture and breathing practices, as a process that cleanses our experience of life. IYANC’s Dedicated Practitioner programs offer a methodical approach to create the levels of intensity and depth that allow Iyengar yoga to transform the practitioner’s life.
These are for you, if you want to:
- Turn away from noise and distraction, and devote yourself to yoga
- Find the support you need to do the hard work of yoga in satisfying ways
- Study yourself, starting with the body and breath, and turning towards an understanding of your emotions and processes of thought
- Increase your confidence, sensitivity, and sense of interconnection
- Join with like-minded people to co-author wholesome community, and
- Have a minimum of one year experience of Iyengar yoga.
IYANC offers three Dedicated Practitioner programs. The two-part Work program is designed to support and enhance your studies in regional studios. These programs serve as a foundation of study for teachers. For teaching skills, see the Teach and Offer programs on the Teacher Education page.
WORK Program 1: ACT
- April 24-25
- May 29-30
- June 18-19
- July 24-25
WORK Program 2: REFLECT
- August 27-29
- September 24-26
- October 22-24
- November 5-7
“Self-discipline burns away impurities and kindles the sparks of divinity.” — BKS Iyengar, Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, II.43. This two-part program focuses on resolving distractions, developing heat, and strengthening and stabilizing the practice externally and internally.
Ways to Participate:
In our survey, many students asked that IYISF offer a variety of ways to participate. Here they are:
- Whole 4-Month Module (WORK: ACT or WORK: REFLECT) $795 includes all workshops and discussion groups, written assignments, guided self-practice of asana and pranayama
- Individual Weekend $199 includes all events on an individual weekend; cost of weekend may be applied to registration for a whole module
- Workshop includes workshop only
To learn more about the Work Programs: